- Who will be mapping, why and for what purpose?
- Does the group have common interests, values or desires?
- Is there a pre-decided theme, or will it be worked out as part of the process?
- Who and what will be invited and included, or perhaps implicitly excluded, and on what grounds?
- Is the space physically accessible to everyone who might attend, and can childcare be included if necessary?
- Are there any formal or informal hierarchies in the space, and how might these be addressed?
- Does the process itself produce any emotions or affects? Is it psychologically transformative?
- Who is the intended audience of the map?
- What will be mapped and why is this important?
- What materials or technology will be used?
- What will be made visible, or hidden, and why?
- What will be drawn, in what style, what colours?
- Are there any practical considerations for the map’s intended use; e.g. should it be waterproof or capable of duplication?
The Life of the Map
- How will the map continue its life outside this space?
- How might the map function as a tool? Does it have any practical use?
- Who will be able to access, or might be excluded from using it, and how will it be used?
- What kind of knowledge is produced?
- Might the map trigger other cycles of learning/critique/mapping elsewhere?
- What are the political/ethical/social implications of these decisions?
- What changes or desires might the map bring into the world?