***The Mundane Afrofuturists promise:***
To produce a collection of Mundane Afrofuturist literature that follows these rules:
- No interstellar travel—travel is limited to within the solar system and is difficult, time consuming, and expensive.
- No inexplicable end to racism—dismantling white supremacy would be complex, violent, and have global impact.
- No aliens unless the connection is distant, difficult, tenuous, and expensive—and they have no interstellar travel either.
- No internment camps for blacks, aliens, or black aliens.
- No Martians, Venusians, etc.
- No forgetting about political, racial, social, economic, and geographic struggles.
- No alternative universes.
- No revisionist history.
- No magic or supernatural elements.
- No Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, or Bucks.
- No time travel or teleportation.
- No Mammies, Jezebels, or Sapphires.
- Not to let Mundane Afrofuturism cramp their style, as if it could.
- To burn this manifesto as soon as it gets boring.
— Martine Syms & whomever will join me in the future of black imagination.
More here via Rhizome